School of Materials and Mineral Resources Engineering started its programme since 1984 in USM, Penang under the School of Industrial Technology and Engineering Sciences. With the advancement of technology and market demand for skilled engineers in the country, USM took the initiative to fulfill the requirement by having its own engineering school separated from other disciplines of applied sciences.
School of Materials and Mineral Resources Engineering started its programme since 1984 in USM, Penang under the School of Industrial Technology and Engineering Sciences.
With the advancement of technology and market demand for skilled engineers in the country, USM took the initiative to fulfill the requirement by having its own engineering school separated from other disciplines of applied sciences.
In March 1986,the engineering disciplines under the School of Industrial Technology were separated to form their own schools, which include the formation of the School of Materials and Mineral Resources Engineering. USM had then housed the new campus at Ipoh before moving to Seri Iskandar, Perak. However, a lapsed of 15 years, in May 2001, the campus was moved to the new site situated at Seberang Perai Selatan, Penang.
Compared to other schools or faculty in other Institutes of Higher Learning in Malaysia, the School of Materials and Mineral Resources Engineering is unique because it offers three programmes, these are Materials Engineering, Mineral Resources Engineering and Polymer Engineering at bachelor degree (honours) level for each programme. Polymer Engineering programme is the latest addition to the school that commenced in April 2002. The programme is an upgrading of polymer technology that was originally under the School of Industrial Technology in USM Penang. In general, the three programmes include specialization as follows:
- Materials Engineering emphasizes research on materials such as metal, ceramic, composite, polymer and semiconductor and electronic materials. These involve design and production of materials, quality control and the materials properties.
- Mineral Resources Engineering focuses on areas of mining, processing and management of mineral resources and the environment.
- Polymer Engineering focuses on polymeric materials such as plastics, rubber, latex and composites. These involve synthesis, processing, design and production of polymer products, quality control and the properties of polymers.
A minimum of four years or 8 semesters are required to complete for each programe. Graduates who have completed the programme of study successfully will be awarded B.Eng (Honours) (Materials Engineering), B.Eng (Honours) (Mineral Resources Engineering) or B.Eng (Honours) (Polymer Engineering) accordingly, which is recognized locally and internationally.
In principal, Universiti Sains Malaysia, upholds the mission among which to build a greater understanding and strive to provide quality education as well as efficient and professional services through vast knowledge, innovation and latest expertise while upholding common ethical values. With that, SMMRE through its three programmes have one similar objective that is to produce materials, mineral resources and polymer engineers that are professionally qualified, knowledgeable and matured, highly skilled, capable and able to compete at national and international level and giving ideas and solution towards engineering crisis through analytic, innovative and proactive thinking. With these philosophies, SMMRE programmes curriculum have been design to fulfill the government aspiration towards vision 2020, industrial needs and at par with the growth of world globalisation technology.
Therefore the existing curriculum is moulded with the following quality :
- recognised by professional bodies including Board of Engineers Malaysia and Institution of Engineers Malaysia.
- balanced integration of teaching based on theory with practical.
- global in identifying various specialisation in tandem with the needs and development of local and international market.
- to develop and generate graduates with knowledge, ethics, quality, skill, innovative and committed.