The School of Materials and Mineral Resources Engineering, Universiti Sains Malaysia offers a postgraduate Mixed Mode degree programme leading to a Master of Science (Materials Engineering).The mode is a combination of coursework and research project (dissertation).
The coursework component contributed to 40% of the final grade, while the research project contributes to the remaining 60%. The Mixed Mode programme covers in-depth topics related to materials development, processes, and properties; at the same time, it provides a platform to develop students’ the research skills.
Application form is also available via the website :
Qualifications (any of the below):
I. Bachelor degree
A) CGPA of at least 2.75/4.00; or
B) CGPA of 2.50 - 2.74/4.00 with; or
· Research experience – 1 year; or
· Professional experience in related field- 1 year; or
· One(1) academic publication in related field; or
· Grade B for major/ elective courses; or
· Grade B+ for final year project.
C) CGPA of 2.00 - 2.49/4.00 (Honours degree) with; or
· Research experience - 5 years; or
· Professional experience in related field - 5 years, AND
· One (1) academic publications in related field; or
· Grade B for major/elective courses; or
· Grade B+ for final year project.
II. APEL A Certificate (APEL T-7)
For non-CGPA qualifications, please refer to IPS for confirmation.
- Language Requirement (Applicable for International Applicants Only). A minimum score of 35 iBT in Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or a minimum score of 5.0 in International English Language Testing System (IELTS),Cambridge English Advance (CAE) min. Score 154, Cambridge Proficiency Advance (CPE) Min. Score 154, Pearson Test of English (PTE) min. Score 36, MUET min. Band 2 and
Exemption is given to candidate with:
- English is the candidate’s mother tongue or National Language; or
- Candidate graduated from an Institution of Higher Learning in which the medium of instruction at Bachelor and/or Master degree level is English; or
- English courses from selected Malaysian public/private university or institution. (The level of qualification and the relevant courses should be previously identified and approved by the University Postgraduate Studies Council).
Duration & Language
- Full-time programme only
- Minimum 2 semesters (12 months) / Maximum 4 semesters (24 months)
- Will only betaught in English
Programme Structure & Requirements
- A candidate has to fulfil 40 credit units to graduate. The programme is divided into coursework and research project spread into two semesters (12 months).
- The minimum grade for passing a course is C+ or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.33. To graduate, candidates have to obtain a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.00 and above. The candidates are required to conduct a research project and pass the dissertation.
- The unit distribution for coursework (core and elective courses) and research project is as follows:
Second Semester (Extended to the end of the Academic Year)
- Registration Fees (RM340.00) + Tuition Fees (RM268.00 x 40 Units) = Total Fees (RM 11,060.00)*
- Malaysian students are encouraged to apply for scholarships from MyBrain15**
√ FIRST SEMESTER : CORE COURSES (COMPULSORY – 11 UNITS)
- EBB 511 : Materials Characterization Techniques3 units
This course is on materials characterization techniques from the theoretical, instrumentation and application aspects. It covers four main topics: microstructural analysis, thermal analysis, spectroscopy analysis, phases and surface analysis.
- EBB 512 : Phase Diagrams & Equilibria 3 units
This course will cover the principle of phase equilibria, the effect of temperature in stability, thermodynamic, and kinetic aspects of equilibria. The course will also focus on binary and ternary phase diagram systems and, finally, the determination and application of phase diagrams.
- EBB 513 : Quality Management 3 units
This course will cover the total quality and quality management, customer satisfaction, strategic planning, quality culture, empowerment, leadership and change, team building and training, quality tools and statistical process control, problem solving and decision making, benchmarking, and just-in-time.
- EBB 551 : Materials Laboratory 2 units
Hands-on experience with equipment normally used for characterization studies. For example, scanning electron Microscope, energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy, X-rays diffraction, X-ray fluorescence, infra red spectrophotometry, molecular spectroscopy, and thermal analysis.
√ FIRST SEMESTER : ELECTIVE COURSES (CHOOSE ANY TWO COURSES – 6 UNITS)
- EBB 521: Industrial Heat Treatment 3 units
This course is intended to provide students with knowledge on the importance, principles, and procedures of heat treatment of ferrous and non-ferrous metals. Issues including the selection of furnace, effects of different heat treatment and their controlling parameters on microstructure and metal properties will be discussed.
- EBB 522: Corrosions and Protection 3 units
This course covers two main objectives: The corrosion of metals and their protection from corrosion. The topics include the modern theory of corrosion, basic and advanced corrosion testing, and basic and advanced corrosion protection.
- EBB 523: Ceramic Processing 3 units
This course is intended to equip students with practical knowledge on the use of various common raw materials and synthetic powders. It will also discuss processing techniques which involve materials preparation, forming, drying, firing, and glazing. Characteristics and properties of ceramics will also be discussed.
- EBB 524: Composite Materials 3 units
This course is intended to provide students with knowledge on principles of polymer, metal, and ceramic matrix composite materials. A full range of issues will be discussed, from the processing of composite materials to the theory which underlies composite properties and their applications.
- EBB 525: Electronic Materials & Optical Devices3 units
This course covers the applications of materials in the electronic and optoelectronic industries, mostly in conductor, semiconductor, and instrumentation industries which use superconductor, ferroelectric, and magnetic materials. The subjects related to nanomaterials for solar cells, sensors, and various optical devices will also be covered.
- EBB 526: Electronic Packaging 3 units
This course is intended to introduce the subject of integrated circuit (IC) packaging, IC package assembly, and board assembly process. An overview of materials in electronic packaging will also be discussed including interconnect materials (solder, solder paste, flux, wire), encapsulant, thermal interface materials and substrate, quality, and reliability in electronic packaging.
√ SECOND SEMESTER : RESEARCH PROJECT (COMPULSORY – 23 UNITS)
(EXTENDED TO THE END OF THE ACADEMIC CALENDER)
- EBB555: Research Project23 units
This course offers further understanding on selected topic in Materials Engineering. Each student will be given a title for an individual research project. The Research Project includes literature review, analysis of previous work, research experimental design, experimental set up, execution of experimental work, data collection, discussion, dissertation writing, and oral presentation. For the oral presentation, the student is expected to produce a written report and to defend it in front of a panel of examiners.
Application form can be downloaded at http://www.ips.usm.my/index.php/downloads2
For Further Information, please contact:
Prof. Ir. Dr. Mariatti Jaafar@ Mustapha
Deputy Dean of Research, Innovation & Industrial-Community Engagement
School of Materials & Mineral Resources Engineering,
USM Engineering Campus, 14300 Nibong Tebal, Penang, MALAYSIA
Phone: +604-5996126, +604-5996103, Fax: +604-5941011